Events, meetings and general Association News.
The most recent news will appear on this page whilst archived news & events
can be accessed via the navigation bar on the left. Last updated
If you need further information about any event please contact the Secretary,
- At the AGM held on the 13 April 2013, Colonel Peter
Walton was elected as Chairman following the retirement of Mr. Don Dickson;
Mr. Ian Lowe was re-elected at the Association Treasurer. Mr. Sean Cooke
(Birr) was elected to the post of Honorary Member in recognition of services
representing The Leinster Regiment Association in Birr. We congratulate
Colonel Peter Walton and Mr. Ian Lowe on their appointments as officers of
the Association and Mr. Sťan Cooke on his status of Honorary Member.
- The Annual General Meeting to elect the officers of the
committee is scheduled for Saturday 13 April in the Trafalgar Room at the
Civil Service Club in London. The AGM will start promptly at 12 noon.
more info ...
- The 2012 edition of The 40/10 has been delayed and is now
schedules for release as a Winter 2012/13 edition in February 2013. Normal
publication service will be resumed in 2013.
- June 16, 2012 - The Association held a special dinner at
the Civil Service Club, Whitehall, on the 16 June to commemorate the
disbanding of the regiment in 1922. Guests included from Ledegem in Belgium
Mayor Bart Dochy, Eldermen Bart Ryde and Greta Vandeputte, from St Pieter's
Church Ledegem Father Johan Loones, from the Irish Embassy in London Mr.
John McCullagh, from the Canadian High Commission in London Colonel Marv
Makulowich and from Ledegem Historical Society Mr. Nick Soen, Mr. Filip
Jacques and Mr. Hans Jacques.
- June 8, 2012 - In his personal capacity, Mr. David Ball,
the Honorary Secretary of the Association, on the 8th June 2012, organised
and hosted an event at Windsor Castle to commemorate the ninetieth
anniversary of the disbanding, in 1922, of the five Irish infantry Regiments
and one cavalry regiment of the British army that recruited in Southern
Ireland. The event, in the presence of the HRH Prince Andrew, The Duke of
York, was attended by representatives of all of the disbanded regiments.
- The Association is planning to hold a 90th Anniversary
Dinner on a Saturday in June 2012 to commemorate the disbanding of the
Leinster Regiment that took place on the 12th June 1922
- A small group of members representing the Association
will attend the Last Post Ceremony at the Menin Gate in Ieper (Ypres) West
Flanders on Saturday March 17th St Patrick's Day.
- Members please note that the Annual Parade of Irish
Regiment Associations is changed for 2012. The 2012 parade, organised by the
Combined Irish Regiments Association will be held on the 17th June 2012
- AGM 2012 will be held on Saturday April 14 2012
- The Forty-Ten Winter Edition (2011) was distributed to
all paid up members in January 2012
- AGM 2011 will be held on Saturday April 16 2011
- Dec 16, Forty-Ten, Edition 2 of 2010 has been distributed
to all fully paid up subscribers. Edition 1 of 2011 is scheduled for
distribution in early June.
- Aug 28, Forty-Ten, Edition 1 of 2010 has been distributed
to all fully paid up subscribers. Apologies to all members for the edition
being late. Edition 2 of 2010 is scheduled for distribution in mid
- The date of the AGM has been agreed for
17 April 2010
- The December edition of the 40/10 has been distributed to
all paid up members of the Association
- Due to a clash in dates April 2010 the committee is
working to resolve the difficulty and will announce a date as soon as
- The Taoiseach (Prime Minister) of Ireland, Mr. Brian
Cowen T.D. met with representatives of the Association, and the
representatives of the respective councils of Birr and Ledegem on Sunday 12
July at the National Day of Commemoration ceremony at the Royal Kilmainham
- The July meeting of the Association was held in Dublin on
the 11 July. Thirty-one members signed the attendance roll.
- The June/July issue of the 40/10 has been distributed to
all members who have paid their annual subscription. Earlier editions for
2007 and 2008 are now freely available on this web site.
see prior editions
- January 2009 Important: The
special offer discounted price, distributed with the Dec 08 edition of the
40/10, for the Remembrance Ledegem Photo Book has now closed. You can still
purchase the photo book but at its full price ...
- The fourth edition of 40/10 was distributed in December
2008, all members should have received their copy in time for Christmas 2008
- Ledegem Video: The video of Remembrance Ledegem has been
difficult to produce. The video has now been converted into a digital format
and the production will commence shortly. 11/01/2009
- All Photographs from Ledegem have been published ...
- Following the parade in Ledegem, Belgium, we are working
on the photo presentation. The photographs are scheduled to be published by
the end of November.
- The third edition of the 40/10 was distributed in June 2008
- 10 March 2008 Freedom of City award to be made to the
Leinster Regiment Association ... read more
- Due to circumstances beyond the control of your committee
there is no coach trip to Ypres on 16 March 2008. Some Association members
will however still be travelling to Ypres for St Patrick's Day Last Post
commemoration ... more
- New images are available for the proposals for the
Regimental Memorial at Crinkle Barracks. This project is being led by Mr.
Ian Lowe for the Association, further information will be made available to
members at the next general meeting in April 2008. However you can view the
proposals under consideration by
- February 1st 2008 Remembrance Ledegem launched. The
community of Ledegem in West Flanders adopt the combined logo created by our
Association as the official logo for Remembrance Ledegem 2008. You can see
the logo and read about Remembrance logo in Tours and Trips, or just
- New shop opened from where
you can purchased the Association blazer badge etc.
- The second edition of 40/10 has been distributed. There
is an article about St Brendan RC Church, Birr, in the second edition of
40/10. You can see pictures of the church that relate to the article on the
web site of Dennis Bill, descendent of a Leinster soldier, by
- The first edition of 40/10 published in May 2007 is now
- The second edition of 40/10 is scheduled for distribution
in December 2007
- The Association is planning to visit Ypres in March 2008
to take part in the Last Post ceremony at the Menin Gate.
It is with regret, and with deepest sympathies to the family, that we note
the passing of Sheila Dorothy Malkin on the 26 October 2007 ...
- The tribute to Jim MacLeod took place on the 31st October
in Enfield during the afternoon ...
It is with regret, and with deepest sympathies to his family, that we note
the death of Major James (Jim) MacLeod, late London Irish Rifles and
President of the London Irish Rifles Band. Major Macleod died unexpectedly,
though peacefully, on the 20th October. .... more
September 24th 2007 the Chairman Don Dickson and Leinster Association member
and Chairman of the Combined Irish Regiments OCA attended the opening by the
Duke of Kent of a new Passchendaele exhibition at the residence of the Belgian Ambassador,
his Excellency Mr. J M Veranneman de Watervliet
On the 31 August 2007, the Association chairman Don Dickson met with Civic
dignitaries from the Belgium Flanders community of Ledegem to discuss a
proposed commemoration of the October 1918 liberation of the community by
the 8th of July 2007 the Association's President Lt. Gen. David, The
O'Morchoe (who is also the Chairman, Royal British Legion Ireland), pictured
third from the left, along with the Secretary and members, attended in
Dublin the annual National Day of Commemoration ceremonies that were held in
the Royal Hospital in Kilmainham. The commemoration is held annually to
honour Irish men and women who died in past wars or in service with the
United Nations and is open to the public.
- June 2007, the Association's President, Major General
David Nial Creagh, The O'Morchoe CB CBE will represent the Association
during the commemoration ceremonies in Belgium, 6 to 11 June. Leinster
members also attending any ceremony during that time are asked to make
themselves known to the Association President.
- 26 May Leinster Members attended the Combined Irish
Regiments OCA meeting in preparation for the
on the 17 June 2007
- 24 May, Press Conference, Imperial War Museum for
- April 2007, AGM, Vincent McGough announced his
resignation as Chairman following his move to Spain. Don Dickson was elected
unanimously as the new Chairman.
- Leinster Association President Major General David
Nial Creagh O'Morchoe is awarded the CBE by Her Majesty in the NEW YEAR
HONOURS 2007 DIPLOMATIC SERVICE AND OVERSEAS LIST For services to
British ex-servicemen and women in Ireland
- Leinster Regiment Association
2006 Christmas Card available
- 11 November 2006, members of 472 ATC Hoylake provide
Guard of Honour at the grave of Sgt John O'Neill VC MM, late Leinster
Regiment VIEW PHOTOS
- Saturday 9 December 2006 Christmas Social Combined Irish
Regiments Association, READ
- Saturday 23
September Ordinary General Meeting in London.
- Friday 8th September 2006, members of the Leinster
Regimental Association joined with the Combined Irish Regiments Association
to participate in Operation Ginchy.
- 7 June 2006. Leinster Regiment Association member Colonel
Joseph Albert Harkon MBE TD was appointed to the role of
- In September 2006, Association members are planning to
attend the special 90th commemoration in Guillemont & Ginchy (France) of the
16th (Irish) Division's involvement in the 1916 Battle of the Somme. The 2nd
Leinsters, part of the 24 Division, also took part in the offensive. If you
wish to join the group, please contact the
Secretary. READ MORE
- Association members attended the Combined Irish Regiments
Old Comrades Association meeting on Saturday 27 May 2006
- The new standard for the Association is now completed and
will be paraded for the first time at the Annual General Meeting in April
- March 2006: Work is underway to develop the photo gallery
to include a wide range of Leinster Regimental Insignia. Keep an eye on this
section for an announcement on availability.
- The AGM will be held on
the 29 April at the Leinster Arms in London
- 8 February 2006 Commandant
Michael McGoona accepts
Vice Chairman of the Association
- Birr week and the Leinster Regiment commemoration
celebrations scheduled 8-15 September 2006 - more will follow.
Commemoration in Birr: Planning to commemorate the Regiment at Crinkill
Barracks is underway.
- The Leinster Regiment to have own exhibition area in Birr
Library. Current estimation is July 2006
- November 11, 2005: A wreath was laid wreath on the grave of Sergeant John
O'Neill VC MM. 2nd Battalion Leinster Regiment by the Association's
chairman Mr. Vincent McGough
- Members of the Association formed up with The Combined Irish Regiments
for the Royal British Legion Remembrance Day parade in Whitehall, Sunday 13
November 2005. The Leinster Regiment was allocated 25 passes.
- November 11 2005: The Association was represented at the Ypres Menin
Gate commemoration service by the Secretary David Ball, Harry Hogan and two
other Association members.
- October 2005, work starts on the
new standard for
Journalists please visit the Press Room
- November 2005
Prince of Wales' Leinster Regiment Association
- See the press release for more